Monday, July 14, 2008

Realtime

In a talk we give to client teams, we stress three technology-enabled trends affecting marketers (not that marketers are special mind you): The cheap revolution, always-on connections, and the transparent society.

This weekend I got a fun reminder of how those three trends apply outside of a theory.

I went to an MLS soccer game Saturday evening. My son got to go out on the field before the game as part of a youth soccer event. And then...

My wife sent a text to my daughter (who had stayed behind at a friend's house) letting her know that her brother was on the field. My daughter replied that she knew that already. Seems a friend of my daughter's--who was at the game---saw my son on the jumbo screen at the stadium and had sent my daughter a text noting that and asking her if she was there too...all occurring in the span of 5 minutes.

Inexpensive communications, with relationships a few clicks away, sharing events of interest as they happen...applied to a brand, the opportunities--and obstacles--would seem immense.

No comments:

Post a Comment